I love to eat healthy, but even I crave junk food from time to time. This week, for some bizarre reason (because I haven’t eaten them in years) I was craving chili cheese fries! If you’re craving a delicious comfort food treat this week, then look no further. 🙂
I knew I could easily veganize this dish, and so I set out to make this delicious plant-based snack. This recipe was pieced together from a post I read on Hummusapian and Eat Healthy Eat Happy. While this recipe isn’t the healthiest one I’ve ever created, I think we can all agree that treats are needed from time to time. If you’re craving a comfort-food snack at all this week, I HIGHLY recommend you give these a try. I DEVOURED my plate of chili cheese fries!
Enough talking though, let’s get to the recipe! This recipe will serve about 3-4 people.
These fries seriously hit the spot. Surprisingly, they were pretty easy to make too! While the quinoa is cooking you can make the Queso cheese. While the potatoes are baking you can make the chili. So you can make multiple things in advance and it all ended up being ready around the same time.
So healthy eating be damned, if you’re craving a treat this week, I say you give these vegan chili cheese fries a go! I can’t wait to make them again.
Vegan Chili Cheese Fries
- 1/2 cup of raw cashews
- 1 cup of medium chunky salsa
- 1 small red bell pepper chopped
- 4 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric for color
Oil Free French Fries:
- 4 large potatoes more, if making for more people
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 1.5 teaspoons of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of smoked or regular paprika
- A pinch of red pepper flakes more if you like things hot
- A pinch of black pepper
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 bunch of green onions save some for garnish
- 1 poblano pepper chopped
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 15 oz. can or 1 1/2 c cooked red or kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can or 1 1/2 c cooked black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 2 15 oz. cans diced no salt added tomatoes
- 1 6 oz. can no salt added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 2 Tbs red cooking wine or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of water
- Put the cashews in a bowl of water and let them soak for about 10 minutes (to soften)
- Put all of the ingredients, including cashews into a blender and blend until smooth
- Set aside for now while you make the chili fries
Oil Free French Fries:
- Preheat the oven to 400 F
- Cut your potatoes into french fry strips
- Toss your fries in a large bowl with a dash of chili powder, paprika, onion and garlic powder. Eyeballing it is fine
- Arrange in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Bake for 30-45 minutes until they are browned/slightly crispy
- Combine a few tablespoons of water in a pan with the chili powder, cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Allow the spices to simmer on low in the pan for 2-3 minutes
- Add the garlic, onions and peppers – saute on medium heat for about 5 minutes until things start to soften
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan (one at a time if need be, to make sure you stir and mix everything well), cover and let the chili simmer for about 20 minutes.
Assembling Everything Together:
- Since the Queso dip was set aside awhile ago, you may want to heat it up in the microwave real quick before assembling your fries
- Put a big helping of fries on a plate, top with a generous heap of chili and pour some Queso dip on top.
- Sprinkle some green onions on top for garnish if you like